To Kangpachen (4050m)
The stage to Kangpachen is arguably one of the most spectacular day on trek. We pass through meadows full with wildflowers in the spring time, and we will pass through forests of rhododendron and pine with a backdrop of impressive mountain scenery. We are early in the season, and so conditions should be expected to be cold and there will most likely be snow on the ground, depending on the winter, there may be substantial snow cover when we are at higher altitudes and this may slow our progress over the coming days. Once we reach the terminal moraine of the Kanchenjunga glacier we traverse a hillside and descend to Kangpachen. The walk will take approximately six hours today.
Quote for the Day
He could tell by the way animals walked that they were keeping time to some kind of music. Maybe it was the song in their own hearts that they walked to.
― Laura Adams Armer
Did You Know?
Despite its name, the snow leopard is actually more closely related to the tiger than the actual leopard.
Find Your Fit Fact
Another mistake people make when walking is that they walk without any arm motion. You should keep your arms bent at an angle of about 90 degrees and you should swing them back and forth in pattern with your leg motion.
Activity Suggestion: Odd/Even Tag
- Have the students start in partner formation.
- One student will be designated as odd numbers, while the other student is designated even numbers.
- Be aware of your space, and remind students of safety concerns throughout the activity.
- Have the students move in general space as “friends” (near each other).
- Once the teacher yells freeze, partners will stand back to back.
- The teacher will call out odd or even, or the teacher can call out math problems to solve. For example, 3 x 4 = 12 so even would be it.
- The object is to tag your partner only. If you tag your partner, your partner than becomes the tagger.
- The game continues until the teacher shouts freeze, where partners go back to back again, and there will be a new math problem called.